Skip to main content

HERE'S WHAT I LEARNED FROM CALLING GOP LEADERS TODAY:


My approach is to start off VERY calmly, and to simply ask if the Senator or whomever I am calling has made a statement on the appointment of Steve Bannon to the office of White House Chief Strategist. The staffers who answer the phones try to get you off quickly, by telling you that the Senator has not yet commented, but they will be sure to pass your message on. At this point, right when they are about to move on, I escalate and extend the conversation by saying, "I have some other questions and comments for the Senator." I proceed to say that I am outraged and horrified that the Senator has not yet and did not immediately denounce the appointment of a white nationalist to an office down the hall from the Oval. 
At this point, the responses from the staffers vary. Some lose their bureaucratic detachment, and become partisan, even argumentative. They say things like, "the Senator has never met Mr. Bannon." (A common deflection being used for this.) I responded to one by saying, "I have never met Abraham Lincoln but I'm pretty sure of his views, because I can read." Another defense takes the form of, "Congresswoman Foxx is still studying the positions of Mr. Bannon and will make a statement when she is ready." Still more staffers brush it off completely: John McCain's aide told me that "the Senate is in session and extremely busy with important matters." I countered that nothing could be more important than preventing an extremist in the White House. Another kept it to the book, informing me that "The Senate does not advise or consent" on the office of chief strategist to the President. Technically true, I returned, but the elected officials can use the bully pulpit of their office to speak to their constituents and to the nation about their views on issues, and do so all the time. When I suggested to the staffer at Richard Burr's Winston-Salem office that he could hold a press conference to denounce Bannon, the staffer scoffed, "press conference?" Lindsay Graham's staffer got into a sharp exchange with me in which she questioned my sources of information, and flat-out called the New York Times biased. I informed her that I formed my opinion of Steve Bannon by reading the Breitbart site itself, and by reading several articles about him in, yes, the New York Times (which is not biased, by the way) as well as the right-leaning Wall Street Journal, among many others. In short, I brought her back to the reality that there is a consensus among mainstream journalism that Bannon is at the very least among the political fringe. 
Why do I continue to legally parse everything these people say? Because I want to keep them on the phone as long as possible. I want to make them work at having to defend an untenable position. Eventually I ask them directly how they personally feel about Bannon. Most were professional enough to avoid that question, but I flustered a couple of aides with it. My favorite response was from a staffer to Virginia Foxx's office in Boone, who said, "hey, man, I'm just a vet who got his finger blown off in Iraq, I don't know about any of it." At least he was honest. I keep them on the phone because it gums up their system, it makes them devote resources to my call, resources they could use elsewhere if they didn't have to field my well researched and passionate call if they would simply do the right thing and denounce Bannon. So, they may not ever actually do it, but I make it cost them--literally, since they are paying some staffer to talk to me, and by costing them morally and spiritually because they are facing the wrath of the righteous. I love a good debate, and I would love to have one based on facts. But these Republican leaders are relying on magical thinking to avoid the topic of Bannon. "I've never met him?" Bannon was Paul Ryan's worst nightmare, back when the conventional wisdom was that Trump was going to take the entire party down in 2016. Ryan stopped campaigning with Trump and wouldn't even say his name! Now that he has been unexpectedly handed the legislative green light he has always craved, he is going to look the other way and give Trump a pass on this one. Not good enough! Ironically, the actual GOP leaders, McConnell and Ryan each have the same message that plays when you call their offices: "we are experiencing a high volume of calls right now. Please refer emergencies to our web site. This call is ended." You can't even leave a message!
In all of my communications, I try to compliment the elected official if possible for their service (easier to do with John McCain than Jeff Sessions), and tell them that while I am a Democrat, I totally respect that there are honest, honorable Republicans. I then use that compliment to say that I am begging them to take a stand and fight against what we can all surely see is evil. I also familiarize myself in advance with what the officials have said. This can be done on Google while you are talking to these aides. I do not, however, stint on sharing the depth of my outrage. Without even raising my voice, I share that I am horrified, terrified, alienated and estranged from my own country, and that I feel utterly unrepresented in the government when the people who purport to by my servants in government have no reaction to or whitewash the elevation of a known hate-monger to an unprecedented level of power and influence. I promised these people that I and many others would be calling daily. Please join me.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Winston-Salem, NC, Crushed by Trump, Sessions, and the State Legislature. By Peter Wilbur

On Monday night in Winston-Salem, North Carolina, a resolution pronouncing my community a " welcoming city " was withdrawn from consideration by its author, Councilman Dan Besse . This document, which is a watered-down compromise of a previously proposed "sanctuary city" resolution promoted by a group of persistent activists, is for now the latest casualty of a far-right, all-out assault on immigrants led by the Trump administration and state legislatures across the country, including the gerrymandered state house in Raleigh. Before drilling into the details of what happened on Main Street last night in a medium-sized city in the middle of North Carolina, let us take an overview of where immigrant rights stand now. We know that Trump has twice signed executive orders banning travelers from "certain" Muslim majority nations, countries chosen apparently for their ability to rouse fear in the hearts of heartland America than out of any sober analysis of

Fake News Only Works on the Ignorant

On May 16, a sea of red-clad teachers descended upon our legislative building to give voice to the frustration many across the state share about the drastic cuts to public education since the Republican super-majority all but hijacked democracy. These cuts are so deep and at times punitive that they seem part of an ideological assault on the very idea of public education rather than some sort of economic prudence claimed by GOP leadership. In the person of Betsy DeVos we see this ideology nakedly espoused on the national stage. Gutting public schools in favor of for-profit charters, Christian private schools, and homeschooling has been her life's work, aided and abetted by her family's billions. She and the NCGA GOP are following a playbook much in the manner of how the Koch brothers systematically attack attempts to address climate change. Meanwhile, the Cambridge Analytica scandal has revealed how compromised our personal data is, and to what lengths political operatives

Anti-fascist Protesters in the Age of the Resistance

By Peter Wilbur Edited by Natalie Herr In the wake of the Charlottesville violence and subsequent actions and debate surrounding Confederate monuments, millions of Americans are learning of experienced activist groups whom most have rarely heard of or encountered before. At the same time, these groups are now interacting with a cadre of brand-new activists drawn to the internet--and the streets--in response to Trump's ascendence. Inevitably, mischaracterization and misunderstanding have ensued, so I think it worthwhile at this critical juncture to unpack some mythology about anti-fascists and to offer a few suggestions as we move forward through this dark era in our nation's history. Let's be clear: the president is not the only person drawing false equivalencies between neo-Nazis and far-left activists. Even the New York Times engaged in a bit of it in a recent piece about leftists that relied heavily on anecdote, and opened with a discussion of violence,